Thursday, September 6, 2007

Cape Breton Island

Sorry, friends, the photography lessons have not happened yet, so I will postpone those blogs till later. In the meantime, check out Jon's flickr page for upcoming pics of our recent vacation to Cape Breton Island.

I will say this about Cape Breton folks: they are a bit hyper, which is hard to understand as they serve the weakest coffee I have ever had. They ask lots of questions, are friendly, and really want to please, so...how about some stronger coffee?! Oh yeah, and the groceries are very expensive, but I can't imagine it's cheap to get anything all the way up there.

So we drove from Maine, through New Brunswick where we camped at the lovely Fundy National Park, where we will certainly go back someday (Grand Manaan has been calling me for years), and on up through Nova Scotia to Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

Cape Breton Island is maybe the most beautiful place I have ever been. Huge cliffs crumbling into the sea, pilot whales just offshore fishing for mackerel, snowshoe hares nibbling through your campsite, bull moose about to charge your boyfriend, and ocean sunsets! Us East Coasters don't get to see those very often. The redness of the soil contrasts with the blue water and sky and the green foliage in a way that an 8-pack of Crayola markers could never reproduce. Camping on the beach, falling asleep to the waves crashing, warm bay water, hidden waterfalls for those romantic moments...I think I am in love. Now if we can just do something about the coffee...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didnt you try the Tim Hortons coffee. That is not weak by all means.

Anonymous said...

The american coffee is not the greatest either and why did you take your own but I guess you can not make on the beach