Monday, February 4, 2008

giving blood

I got started on my New Year's Resolution finally today!

I finally went to donate blood. It is ridiculous that I haven't done this since 9/11/2001. I have the kind of blood that anyone can use. I used to get those letters from the Red Cross saying they need my blood. I guess they gave up on me.

Anyway, I finally went and I have to say this time it kinda hurt and I was very weak and woozy afterward. But you know, someone who needs blood was probably hurt a lot worse. I love how nice nurses can be when you tell them you are nervous or scared, which I was kinda even though I have done it before. (I guess it had been so long.) The nurse had a pretty smile and she walked me through what she was doing, and even gave me a hand-warmer when I was cold. The volunteers were so nice, too. They really went out of their way to make me feel better, offering me a blanket, pizza, sandwich, chips, cake, bread, juice, cookies, and even a sourdough sweetbread starter!

The Red Cross seems like a great organization. Once I went to a first aid class at the American Heart Association building and I kid you not, this is what they had in their lunch room: red meat, fried chicken, french fries, and cake. I guess they need to keep themselves in business.

No comments: