Monday, July 28, 2008

I love Maine food

Sigh...For years I have wanted to rid my life of plastic. Cloth bags are easy. Many foods are not. Try finding yogurt and cottage cheese in glass! Well, after years of longing, I finally found local yogurt in glass jars! Smith Family Farm, on Mount Desert Island, makes the most delicious organic yogurt. If you're used to the over-sugared (or aspartamed) glorified candy that most grocery-store yogurt is (27 grams of sugar in yogurt!) it will taste different: it is not pasteurized and has not traveled to New Jersey and back. But once you get used to that tangy taste (which is amazing mixed with a bit of Jon's parents homemade rhubarb jam!), you will not want to eat that store stuff again.

The best part about this is that my friend ordered it from the buying club for me and so it was only $3 a quart--about the same as what I used to buy in the store.


Yay for local foods. Yay for Maine for supporting this kind of stuff. We are so lucky to have lots of glass-jar milk around (I love you Smiling Hill Farm!) Yay for glass jars that can be returned and used again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I'll look for them here on MDI - haven't seen them yet, but I never go shopping so I can't say I've really been looking... (last night I had a can of bean soup for dinner - I am totally not taking advantage of Maine food)

Hope you're well, Rebeccer. Talk soon. xoxoxo daisy

Michelle said...

hi rebecca, i just found your business card you gave me way back when and just checked out your blog for the first time...thanks for the yogurt props! We should hang out some time soon, we are thinking of having a potluck party soon

xoxo michelle