Monday, July 21, 2008

bikes bikes bikes


I think people should ride bikes way more often. Let's put the environmental, economic, and health benefits aside, and talk about fun. Riding a bike makes you feel like a kid again. Seriously! Try it! and then try with no hands! Ride to somewhere fun like the beach or the movies or the sprinkler park or the bar. To maximize kid-feeling-ness, wear flip-flops or cowboy boots and even a skirt. (I vouch that it is entirely possible to ride across town comfortably in cowboy boots.) Also, riding with lots of friends in a bike gang is pretty rad and you feel like you should be in an after-school special where you make fun of some kid, calling him "King of the Flots" until you learn that he's pretty cool after all.

I'll tell you what makes me feel damn cute: when I ride my bike to my garden, fill my bike basket with beets and collards and sunflowers and daisies, and then ride home with the basket overflowing. I would post a picture but I have not figured out how to safely take a picture of myself whilst riding a bike. Someone should take a picture, though: Munjoy Hill--are you listening??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can relate, Becky. Not about the basket full of goodies, but about riding with friends. Do you think Dustin will remember the excitement of riding without training wheels. He was so cute and so determined. He had some shaky moments, but he did it!!!
Love, Mom