Monday, July 21, 2008

Farm Camp

This summer I am working at Farm Camp. Here are some highlights and things I have learned:

-Pigs are extremely loud and will risk shock by electric fence just to get some new scenery. I recently re-read Animal Farm and the pigs now disturb me. However, they are just as afraid of large bugs as people are.

-Chickens are disgusting. But their eggs are so tasty they are worth it.

-I gave a five year old boy a time out. He got upset and started looking around the forest floor to find something to poison me with. Originally he wanted to poison me for 3 years but upon second thought he settled for 3 days. I really wanted him to find a mushroom to see how he might trick me into eating it.

-extra cool things found in the pond:
salamander larva

black-crowned night herons
and hog dragonfly nymphs that eat everything in sight. I could spend the whole day watching the violence! Today two dragonfly nymphs were fighting over the same prey and one tried to eat a frog!

(Dragonfly nymphs are a young stage in metamorphosis that live in water. They can extend their lower jaw about a third the length of their body and can eat things bigger than themselves!)

-Lambs are amazing. They instinctively know that if they say "Baaa" when we leave them it makes the kids very happy. One kid told me he spoke sheep, so he translated for me. Apparently when we leave the lambs and they say Baaa they are actually saying "Bye." In Sheep.

-And lambs' lips tickle your hand when they eat grain out of it.

-If you give a little girl a big flower her face will light up and make you feel like a million bucks. All for one flower.

-Some kids just seem to know when you are about to lose your mind. Then they run up to you, throw their arms around you and kiss you and say, "I yuv you!" Yay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.