Thursday, January 24, 2008

brief rant re: music

Why, oh why, are we forced to listen to "adult contemporary"?

I am an adult, yes.

One might even call me contemporary.

However, "Pocket Full of Kryptonite" was not that good of a song when it came out, so why is it still on the radio? And, can Natalie Merchant get over the weather already? And, come on, "Fast Car" was a great song when it came out in 1988, but in the past 20 years, some other really great music has come out as well. Not that I mind listening to it every once in a while--but that stuff is all they ever play on the non-country, non-oldies, non-top 40 radio stations! How about some Arcade Fire? Iron and Wine? Cat Power for cryin' out loud?

Now, if I still read the same books I read in 1988, people would assume I were really unintelligent, unintellectual, and unchallenged. If I still read YM Magazine everyone would laugh. But I am still supposed to listen to the same music that has been on the radio for the past 20 years?

I am happy to make a list of suggestions that I would think appropriate for the radio. But I have to go watch Saved By the Bell. I mean, that show rocked the 80s, right?

2 comments:

maggie! said...

I love adult contemporary!!

amanda jennifer said...

You're talking about WCLZ, aren't you?