Sunday, December 16, 2007

oh yes, more reasons...

...to hate shopping (OK, to hate shopping at the Mall area.)
-you are forced to listen to Sarah McLaughlin or that band that won the key to the city of Portland or, even worse, Mariah Carey singing "All I Want for Christmas" or Bruce Springsteen singing "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" as if he were dying.
-you really want something and you can't find it.
-all the kids' toys these days are of characters such as Dora, Barbie, or the Hookerz-oops, I mean Bratz.
-everything in every store looks the same. NO ONE looks good in those stupid dresses and blouses that are shaped for pregnant people. Not even pregnant people. But that is all you can find because that is what someone decided was cool.

But here is what I love: shopping locally. When I wander around the stores in downtown Portland, I:
-get to talk with Diane at Ferdinand when I go buy some Police Puffy stickers
or some cool blue hoop earrings. Diane called me "so employable."
- can stop at a lovely coffee shop and have conversations with friends that work there.
- run into people i know.
- can find vintage clothes that are unique and cut in a shape that does not make me look pregnant.
-support local businesses owned by people that i have met.
-get better exercise and fresh air because i am walking around outside to the stores.

No comments: