Sunday, November 25, 2007

wistful

Something about the weather today makes me want to be in Cherokee Park in Louisville more than any other place. (10 less degrees and I would say the Caribbean visiting Daisy.) The just-past-crisp temperature of late late fall and the soft blue sky just beg me to be outside in a comfortable and inviting place. Where better than the park in which I grew up? Cherokee Park has arguably the best sledding hill east of downtown. (A close contender is the Crescent Hill Golf Course.) I spent hours as a child searching for salamanders and crawdads under the flat stones in Beargrass Creek at Big Rock. I love the jigsaw bark of the enormous sycamore trees. And i flirted with germs and disaster barefoot at Hogan's Fountain. As a teenager, my friends and I would lay on our backs on the hill and stargaze, or sneak out onto the horse bridge connecting Cherokee to Seneca and drink beer. I think Cherokee Park is one of the most beautiful gems of Louisville. I can't wait to show it to Jon. I just wish there would be some leaves on the trees still.

No comments: