Friday, May 9, 2008

oh, love!

There is a lot in my life that's exciting right now, not the least of which is my new garden plot! I have been waiting for SIX YEARS for a plot in this community garden, across the street from the East End Community School (the country's first public Expeditiary Learning Elementary School, where I would be very excited to send my kids someday.) So, finally, I get not just any plot, but apparently the guy before me was the best gardener in there. That might mean I have a lot to live up to, considering it's my first garden ever, but it also means that the soil is amazing, chock fulls of shells and worms, well-tilled, and hardly any weeds from the winter compared to my neighbor gardens. Also, I inherited sunflowers, onions, chives, and some squash! I would love to wait and see what else comes up, but there is a rule that we have to plant by May 15. And with this gorgeous weather we've been having, and with the view from my garden of the Back Cove (I've seen several bald eagles soaring over the cove), I can't stay away!

There's one fly in the ointment, though--my garden neighbor has to be the single most annoying gossipy person in the city. I try to avoid her like the plague, but she's like Visa-everywhere I want to be. Guess I'll be wearing headphones to my garden!

Pictures to come!

No comments: