Monday, December 1, 2008

Southerners vs. Yanks, cont'd

Things I will never understand about northerners:

8. Restaurant service. I will not go on a rant here, but maybe, once, you should go out to eat in the south and you will weep to return to a restaurant in Yankee world.

9. They don't realize that putting spaghetti noodles in chili is perfectly normal.

Things I love about them:

5. There's a certain independence or DIY-ness here. It's quite charming and very useful. I am not sure that I have ever met a Mainer, for example, whose parents don't "put up" food for the winter in loads of canning jars.
6. I like about Maine that the world does not stop in the event of a snowstorm. In Louisville, they predict a few inches, and the Kroger's is literally cleaned out of milk, meat, and bread (apparently the essentials.) The city shuts down. In Maine, you get a foot, most people still have to go to work. Oh, well that part sucks, but the rest I like.

4 comments:

alyce ornella said...

hello we have a lot of the same friends in maine but i don't think we have ever met. i grew up in the ohio river valley, too, on the oh/ky border. everything you say is true. miss. home.

. said...

Hi Alyce! When I return from Kentucky we should meet! You can come to my Derby party! Us Southerners need to stick together if nothing else, so we don't lose our accents altogether.

alyce ornella said...

um, also: how about cornbread with SUGAR all over it? gross. and the complete lack of tea and/or tea without sugar (or the remedy, cold tea with a sugar packet!).

glad you had a trip home and yes lets get together. i'm going home mid-june to s.ohio and e.ky.

alyce ornella said...

oh also, with accents: i think i lost my pretty much when i moved to chicago for college 10 years ago. i didn't even think i had an accent until people there thought i was from tennessee. but, everyone once in a while it comes out and people look at me crosseyed if i utter the word "mamaw". how'd you end up up here? the lack of humidity and ocean are a pretty nice trade, though...